The town now known as Fisk was named after Stephen W. Fisk who operated the first general store there in 1895. The town originally sat on the east side of the St. Francis River in Stoddard County and was named Poplin (See Stoddard County Page). Flooding and a levee constructed on the east side of the river made it more practical to settle the west side of the river for a town. The land was originally owned by the Garetson-Greason Lumber Company who bought several thousands of acres to harvest the timber. A ferry operated there transporting people and goods across the river. In 1899 the post office moved from the east side of the river to west side.